The Laboratory focuses on introducing schemes of disabled children’s quality of life improvement through creating favorable environment for their overall development and everyday activities. The research covers the most essential issues of special education in Russia, Europe, Saint Petersburg and Leningrad Region, namely:
- development of the early correctional pedagogical assistance schemes for infants with special needs
- integrated and special education for children with special needs in comprehensive school
- general model of socialization for specialized children’s homes’ leavers in Leningrad Region
- system of lifelong professional education for individuals with special needs or disabilities
- teaching deaf and hearing-impaired pre-school children
- socialization for children with multiple complex developmental disorders
- distance learning for disabled children and children with special needs.
The Head of the Laboratory is Margarita Nikitina (Full Professor, Doctor of Pedagogical Sciences, Corresponding Member of the Russian Academy of Education, leading expert in special education in Russia, acknowledged expert in speech pathology in Europe, the USA and Canada). Margarita Nikitina holds the following government awards, prizes and commendations: Certificate of Merit from Ministry of General and Special Education, State Prize in Education, Certificate of Merit from the Governor of Saint Petersburg; the Title of «Honorary Worker of Higher Education».